To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frequently Asked Questions

City Hall

What hours is City Hall open?

City Hall is open from 8am - 5pm Monday - Friday.  We are closed for lunch from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m.


May I burn leaves inside the city limits?

Please see ordinances 210.890 and 210.900 on reckless burning.  Do not burn leaves if there is an open fire ban due to dry and excessively hot weather.     

May I drive a recreational vehicle within the city limits of Hallsville?

You can't drive an all-terrain vehicle within the city limits of Hallsville unless it is operated for agricultural purposes.  Check out the new ordinnaces on utility vehicles, golf carts, and recreational off-highway vehicles at https://ecode360.com/HA3555/laws/LF1170083.pdf

Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the City of Hallsville, what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application.  Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may mail or drop off the application at City Hall.  Interviews will be scheduled accordingly.

Does the City of Hallsville hire part time employees?

Yes, we do hire part time employees.  Availability of these positions will be posted here when available.

Building Permits & Inspections

What is the process for getting a building permit?

Take a moment to read all required information provided. Then print and fill out the building permit application form for the City of Hallsville and Boone County and return to City Hall.  Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email.  We will be happy to help you.

Public Works

When should I call 1-800-DIG-RITE?

Safe Digging is No Accident. Electric, Gas, Water, Sewer, Telephone and Cable lines are buried everywhere and some are only an inch or two below the ground's surface. A job as small as planting a tree or installing a mailbox or fence can damage underground facilities.  Anytime you are going to dig, call 1-800-DIG-RITE first!

Police Department

Does the City of Hallsville issue Conceal and Carry Permits?

The City of Hallsville no longer issues Conceal and Carry Permits.  Please contact:

Boone County Sheriff's Department and County Jail
2121 County Dr
Columbia, MO 65202

Office:  (573)875-1111


Trash & Recycling

When are the garbage collection days for my street?

Garbage collection is Wednesday for the City of Hallsville. Remember, Christmas Day is the only holiday that will alter the normal routine.

Water Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we can run an analysis for you to see when the water was used (unless you live in the Mobile Home Park, then you need to contact their maintenance person).  

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office and a one-time extension will be extended to you for extenuating circumstances.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Call our office and report low pressure for your area.  We will send someone from the Public Works Department out to check your meter.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.  Run your water for 15 minutes to see if that clears up the water.  If it does not, call City Hall and report the issue.

Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

For Information Call

  • (573) 886-4375 – Voter Registration Office
  • (573) 875-8683 – Voter Information Hotline
  • (573) 886-4388 – TDD for Hearing Impaired Voters